Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 13

Today will mark our eighth full day of teaching in Nicoadala, as well as our last full day.

***Picture will be up later***

Pastor Olympio! This is THE guy, man. Pastor Olympio has been around since the beginning and has started soo many churches John has actually lost count. Most of the pastors in the training center were either lead to Christ by Olympio, or have come from one of the churches he started. When he speaks, people listen. Not because he’s “so important”, but because Olympio sticks to God’s Word and just doesn’t budge. I asked Olympio how many children he had, and he just laughed and said, “A lot of children”. Currently he is a pastor, mentor for several guys, driver for World Vision, husband, and father.

Please, take a moment, and pray for Pastor Olympio
It was kind of a bittersweet morning for me, realizing that the mission after today was coming to a close and it wouldn’t be long before I was several long flights back home. Wanne made yet another wonderful breakfast which prepared us for the day. After a quick meeting to discuss what we wanted to finish up that day, we were out the day and on our way to the teaching center.
Once there, I went around greeting the local pastors. Pastor Arcanjo tested my memory and kept pointing out people, asking if I knew their name. To his delight, I knew every person’s name he pointed to. He told me that my Portuguese was very good, and I think he told me that my memory was good as well...but, uh, I have zero idea what he said. haha

After worship and a devotional, I was quickly into my study of the Old Testament. Since I’m normally first, I usually start by asking how the pastors are, if they slept well, if they watched a movie, etc. I did learn that they LOVE 10,000 B.C., but they were not too fond of Mel Gibson’s Apocalyptio. Even in a foreign nation and culture his movies stink, haha. I reviewed the major points that I had made yesterday in Ecclesiastes, and then proceeded into the rest of the book. I showed them that as King Solomon begins to focus more on God, and who He is, then the book becomes less pessimistic and more optimistic on life. His conclusions on life, his warnings for youth, and his final conclusion to fear God were all things that these pastors loved and enjoyed.

Now the really fun/awkward stuff starts. Song of Songs! This book is hard to teach to American’s...let alone a group of pastors who I hardly know, in a different language, and a culture still very foreign to me. So, it was hard! haha. It was more the poetic structure that really had these guys confused...not much poetry in Mozambique I guess. A LOT of Song of Songs had to be adapted in order for these guys to understand the imagery also. For instance, the in Song the woman describes Solomon like an apple tree in which she delights,
and that the apples are sweet. Well, less than a third of these guys have seen an apple...and even less have tasted one. So, we changed that to a mango tree...now they can understand the imagery. The woman also warns the love-struck king to not allow “little foxes” into their vineyard. Welp, there are no foxes or vineyards here...so, we changed that to a wild cat or jackal that gets into the chicken coup and steals eggs. Haha, not as romantic is it? But maybe you can begin to see why it was very hard (but fun) to break down these passages in order that these pastors can understand it.

And, oh, the questions! A few were no where related to the text, but I had to come up with biblical answers. For instance, I was talking about how the Shulummitte woman had a dream about Solomon and in this dream Solomon was missing the woman was very distraught. Well, simply because I SAID the WORD “dream”, pastor Dino asked, “What should we do about dreams? There are many people who have dreams and say that God has told them to do something. Are dreams of God? Should we be listening to these people?”

Then, there was a point in the notes that talked about loving with body, soul, and spirit. Dino once again, “What is the difference between soul and spirit”. Let me tell you...that one took a LONG time. Mostly because it would have been pointless for me to go back and trace the historical reasons in the Hebrew and Greek, since it would only confuse them.

It was some where during this time, that I was just blow away I guess. I mean...here I am in Africa, teaching God’s Word to a group of men that are taking the Gospel to completely unreached people groups. These men also have a HUNGER for God’s word...here we are teaching the Song of Songs, and our discussion goes from dreams & visions to worshiping God in soul & spirit. Just awesome! :p
During the break, John attempted to show the local pastors the new Jesus Film stuff that we had brought along. The new technology would enable a pastor to take everything in one backpack and easily go from village to village on a bike. The power supply is solar powered, the projector is the size of a cell phone, and the speakers are omni-directional and VERY loud. After much work, John decided that maybe he should learn how to use it first, before he shows it to a bunch of guys. haha.

After the break, Rick started teaching on Pastoral Counseling which wasn’t new to the pastors here (they love to counsel) but the idea of making it more formal was. They cracked up though when Rick demonstrated a “side-hug”. haha

Soon it was time for lunch again, but at lunch the discussion of the difference between soul and spirit continued. Dino seemed to be the most confused, and with Bible in had he was trying to figure it out. Here is the cool thing...these guys have barley scratched the surface when it comes to using and understanding their study Bibles. Dino was USING the tools his study Bible has, and by doing so the other pastors were learning how to as well. First, he went and used the dictionary to find the definitions and then he used the concordance to find it in scripture. He’d read off a reference in the concordance, flip to that verse, read it, and then laugh because it would only confuse him more. haha. Jaoa asked me after lunch was done if I would like to help with some input (he called me professor again, haha). I pointed them out to a verse in Deut. which was quoted by Jesus in the book of Mark, and using my AMAZING drawing abilities, and the little Portuguese I knew, we tried to finally ease Pastor Dino’s confusion.

After lunch I went back into the Song of Songs, and we were able to finish with some time to spare. I’ll admit, I was a little sad because I knew this would be my last time teaching in this setting and that I didn’t get at least a LITTLE farther. This means that finished the historical books, and the wisdom literature, but all the prophets will be left for John & Jim. Both of which assured that I did a great job, and not to worry about what was in God’s hands.

We came home to an amazing dinner, and I noticed that Calesto finished my African shirt! I was super excited; because it look much better than I expected it to. I tried it on and it fit great, not to long and fit very well. The only thing that threw me off though...is that Calesto accidently put the front pockets, on the backside of the shirt. haha. So, I told Wanne that I have a VERY unique African shirt.

After dinner we packed up, and got ready for the next day. The plan being to teach for as long as we can, then check in at the airport, go back to have lunch with the Dina’s, and then back to the airport to venture on our long journey home.

Things to remember...

* “When I first heard that expression, I thought it was a reference to how Jeremy wears his pants” –John Dina

* “I know what Solomon went through” –Pastor Manuel Jussa

* “Grown ups watching cartoons” –John Dina in reference to me watching the Simpsons

* “Ogi-Ogi!” – John Dina

* “Sometimes I am not very diplomatic” – Wanne

* “Well, for starters, at least ask like you’re friends or something” –Me

No comments: